NMES and sEMG in Dysphagia Management: The Guardian Way
- Define NMES and describe the properties of electrical stimulation and its impact of the electricity on muscle tissue.
- Define sEMG and describe its function in detecting the electricity of muscle movement.
- Identify the medical conditions for which NMES is indicated for the treatment of dysphagia.
- Determine candidacy criteria for use of NMES for the treatment of dysphagia.
- Identify the characteristics of the NMES stimulation unit and discuss the importance of the properties of electrodes.
- Discuss and demonstrate the application of the Guardian therapeutic protocol in the treatment of dysphagia
- Describe and justify why there is a continued need for traditional swallowing exercises in conjunction with NMES.
- Explain why adjustable electrical stimulation parameters maximize therapeutic outcomes.
- Explain the rationale behind the electrical parameters of the Guardian NMES Protocol.
- Demonstrate effective communication skills for patient education regarding the treatment of dysphagia and the use of NMES and sEMG.
This course is offered for 1.35 ASHA CEUs (Advanced level, Professional area)