NMES in Dysphagia Management: The Guardian Way®
Pediatrics and Adults
This course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs in an interactive live webinar format
As a result of this activity, the learner will be able to:
- Explain the physiological changes that occur with swallowing as patients age to better identify abnormalities
- Discuss the common etiologies associated with pediatric swallowing disorders
- Identify muscles and physiological processes involved in swallowing
- Describe components involved in the comprehensive assessment and treatment of dysphagia
- Define and describe the properties of neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and explain the impact on muscle tissue
- Determine the candidacy criteria for the use of NMES as an adjunct treatment of dysphagia in combination with traditional treatment approaches
- Discuss and demonstrate the application of the The Guardian Way® therapeutic protocol in the treatment of dysphagia
- Modify electrical stimulation parameters to maximize therapeutic outcomes for individual patients
- Return demonstrate effective communication skills for patient education regarding the treatment of dysphagia and the use of NMES
As a family owned company, our mission at Spectramed®, is to lead the way in the advancement of medical and rehabilitation tools and education to restore function to the highest level possible.
The Guardian Way® is a clinical collection of education, support, and products for dysphagia management. Our protocols utilize neuromuscular electrical stimulation (NMES) and surface electromyography (sEMG) paired with swallowing to individualize treatment for patients across the lifespan.
The Guardian Way® was developed by Spectramed's founders in conjunction with passionate and leading speech-language pathologists to create a functional approach to dysphagia rehabilitation.
Our NMES in Dysphagia Management course will provide clinicians with training in The Guardian Way® protocol and the Guardian Unity device. Participants will learn principles and treatment methods with hands-on practice with emphasis on individualizing treatment. Use of video feed during our live interactive course provides opportunity for demonstrations by our course instructor and return demonstrations by participants. This promotes for class discussion and a comfortable environment to make necessary adjustments in placements and techniques as needed. Historical and current evidence will be reviewed, including cortical reorganization from NMES pre/post neural imaging data.
During this course, we build a solid foundation for assessment & treatment of dysphagia with discussion of anatomy/physiology, surrounding tools for assessment, compensatory strategies, and treatment. The course will also provide an overview of electrotherapy, neuroplasticity, and neuromuscular retraining to prepare for NMES. The impact of NMES treatment on cortical reorganization from pre/post neural imaging data will be presented. An analysis of the historical and current evidence will also be shared. Participants in our course will understand and learn how to apply the fundamental principles of NMES for the treatment of dysphagia as an adjunct therapy.
This course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs (Advanced level, Professional area)
Our course is offered via webinar format with both visual and audio components. If you would like to request accommodations, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-800-643-1917.
If it becomes necessary for Spectramed, LLC to cancel or reschedule a course, the participant will be contacted via email or phone and offered a full refund or a transfer to another course. When the participant opts to transfer to another course, the full amount of the cancelled class funds will be applied to the new course. If the new course fee is less than the cancelled course, a refund will be issued for the difference. If the new course fee is greater than the cancelled course, the participant will be expected to pay the remaining balance of the new course. When the participant opts for the full refund of the course cancelled or rescheduled by Spectramed, LLC, the participant must return equipment and any training materials in new, re-saleable condition prior to receiving the refund. Return postage will be pre-paid by Spectramed, LLC. Participants may cancel a course registration up until 14 days prior to the course date to receive a refund or transfer to another course. Cancellations received after the 14-day window are not eligible for a refund. Refunds will be issued after the participant has returned all training materials and equipment in new, re-saleable condition. Participant is responsible for return shipping costs.
An annual ASHA CE Registry fee is required to register ASHA CEUs. Individuals must meet at least one of the following conditions to be eligible to earn ASHA CEUs.
- ASHA Member (includes Life member and International affiliates)
- ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence (CCC) Holder
- Licensed by a state or provincial regulatory agency to practice speech-language pathology (SLP) or audiology
- Credentialed by a state regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- Credentialed by a national regulatory agency to practice SLP or audiology
- A Clinical Fellow supervised by someone who holds the ASHA CCC
- Currently enrolled in a masters or doctoral program in SLP or audiology
The participant pays ASHA CE Registry fee directly to the ASHA National Office. The annual ASHA CE Registry fee allows registration of an unlimited number of ASHA CEUs for the calendar year. Contact the ASHA CE staff at 800-498-2071 for CE Registry fee subscription information.
Relevant Financial Relationships:
- Lindsay Douglas receives compensation as a course instructor.
Relevant Nonfinancial Relationships:
- Member of ASHA
- Member of SIG 13, Swallowing and Swallowing Disorders
- Member of SIG 03, Voice and Voice Disorders
his course is offered for 0.7 ASHA CEUs (Advanced level, Professional area)
Spectramed®, LLC has developed and patented licensed technology trademarked as the The Guardian Way®. Because there are no other like-kind protocols available, course offerings will only cover information that pertains to the effective and safe use of the above named intellectual properties.
Target Audience and Prerequisites
The target audience for this course includes speech-language pathologists with a foundational knowledge of dysphagia. There are no prerequisites for this course. Additional professionals are also welcome to attend, but CEUs are only available through ASHA at this time.
Satisfactory Completion Requirements
To receive credit for completion of the course, participants must pay course fee, attend the entire course offering, and complete ASHA participant form, post-test, and post course evaluation. No partial credit will be awarded.
Spectramed®, LLC wants to ensure that each participant has a great experience with our company and our course offerings. All concerns or complaints can be sent to email@example.com. Participants may also call 1-800-643-1917 to discuss concerns with our sales department.